Friday, July 15, 2011

Because It's Friday


Last October one of my best friends was visiting from Florida and staying for over a week.  It was time to play host and show him what Southern California is all about.  Unfortunately the day he arrived the weather took a turn for the worse and remained like that for almost his entire stay.  I created a list of things we could do and some sights that I could show him like the Hollywood sign, Roscoe's Chicken & Waffles and UFC 121 where Cain Velasquez took the heavyweight title from Brock Lesnar in dominating fashion.

The first stop and attraction that I took him to the day after he arrived was the street where the movie Friday was filmed.  This movie is regarded by both of us as one of the all time greats and I had never seen the filming spots for Friday before.  Very appropriately we embarked on this adventure on a Friday morning on our way to Roscoe's in Hollywood.  When we arrived at the location I actually drove right past Craig's house because they re-painted it and added some new decor to stray away from that same look that we all know and love from 1995.  That god-awful peach pink color is a pleasant blue complimented by white trim.  I quickly turned around and parked up the street.  Let me say that when checking out these filming spots it's hard to not feel creepy and paparazzi'ish, particularly if it's someone's home.  So remember to always be respectful and try your hardest not to come off how I described above.


We snapped pictures of Craig's house and kept reciting our favorite scenes and lines from the movie.  "You gotta be a stupid motherf***** to get fired on your day off!" "What'up Big Perm?"  I must also say that when you are on that street you get the feeling that everyone knows each other and a warm summer day would be just like they portrayed in the movie.  We were deprived of any kind of Miss Parker action with her out watering her lawn because of the weather, but maybe that's motivation for you to go visit this spot.





I loved visiting this filming spot because this is another movie that I grew up watching over and over.  Enjoy the pictures as you replay your favorite scenes in your mind.  I must mention before I wrap this post up, remember to be respectful when visiting these spots and also be aware of your surroundings.  This neighborhood isn't in the best part of town, so travel with someone and preferably during the day.  You better believe that there are real-life Deebo's out there and you don't want to be the one saying "my grandmama gave me that chain!"

Craig's house is located "between Normandie and Western" in the West Athens area of Los Angeles at:
1418 W 126th Street
Los Angeles, CA

12 comments:

  1. I was with my ladies families house. The live off of Florence and Hildale. Ever time I go over there I kept thinking I was near Craig's house. Today I finally googled it a.nd found your page. Thanks for the information. I finally got to ride up and down the street and actually see the house!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome post! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome post! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Im in Cali visiting from NY and came across this page... Friday is my favorite movie of all time. Im stsying in Huntington beach but def goin to the block tomorrow... round here between normandie and westin, we call this here a little twenty twen , niggaaaaaaaaa!!! Lol ima post again after my trip. My friends r never going to believe this. Gota photo myself there real quick then split. Dont want Debo jackin me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Does anyone out there know if the interior scenes of craig's house were shot in the same house we see on the outside?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The inside of the houses are not that is shown on the film. I know because I grew up in MS Parker house and my parents still reside there. My friend Chris who is deceased now lived in Craig house

      Delete
  6. this is funny I love reading stuff about my family block. My parents live in Ms Parker's house. When we see people outside we always offer them to take a picture

    ReplyDelete
  7. I cant wait to visit you guys in L.A. and meet everyone on the block. This is super cool. From Pamela from Chicago

    ReplyDelete