Saturday, July 23, 2011

The Halloween Street


70's horror movies are the best, aren't they?  My friends Maegan, Ryan and I used to rent five horror movies at a time and spend a couple nights watching them all.  We couldn't have been older than 12 or 13 eating popcorn and watching Children of the Corn, Hellraiser, Candyman and Halloween.  I'm not afraid to say that I would walk extra brisk past my windows and glass doors in fear that Michael Myers would be standing out in my yard.  That white mask has always amazed me because it is so simple yet frightening.

In October of last year I spent a very fun Halloween weekend in Fresno with my girlfriend and her good friend.  It just so happened that Halloween was on a Sunday and I was heading back to Southern California.  I decided to make a quick stop to make the weekend complete.  The first Halloween movie, as well as several others were filmed in South Pasadena.  I walked around the area where Michael Myers stalked those kids and haunted the neighborhood that is supposed to be Haddenfield, Illinois.

It was about 6pm on October 31st and there I was walking around Michael Myers' "neighborhood."  This was a cool feeling for any Halloween movie fan and I must say that there were a couple others like me trying to blend in.  I snapped some pictures, got a feel for the area and headed on my way.  This was a fun moment in my filming spot hunting career and now you can experience it for yourself.

The pictures above show the street where Jaime Lee Curtis crosses the street heading to school in the very beginning of the movie.  The other pictures are of Michael's house.  The opening sequence shows him murdering his sister when he was a kid and standing out in front holding the massive knife.  This house has since been moved (literally picked up and moved I believe) to the end of the street by the train tracks.  It is actually a doctor's office now, go figure.


The trailer for the 1978 classic can be watched here.

The street from Halloween is located at:
Meridian Ave (specifically Meridian Ave & Magnolia Street)
South Pasadena, CA

Michael's house is just down the street before the train tracks facing south.

1 comment: