Sunday, July 10, 2011

How It All Started - The Back To The Future Parking Lot


Let me start off by telling you how this all got started. In the summer of 2010, I was watching one of my favorite movies of all time, Back to the Future 1 (I actually like the 2nd one better, but they're all good). Since I had seen the movie so many times up to that point, I decided to put the special feature captions on that gives you fun little facts about the scenes, characters and history of the movie. In the beginning of the movie where Marty meets up with Doc at the Twin Pines Mall parking lot a caption came on the screen saying that "Twin Pines Mall is actually Puente Hills Mall in City of Industry." And I thought to myself, "shoot, that's not too far away" and I would love to go snap some pictures of the actual parking lot that was a pivotal location for one of the greatest movies of all time.

So the very next day I was out and about, and after a good workout I headed down to Puente Hills which was only about 10 miles from where I was at. Now I spent a lot of time watching movies growing up and have always been fascinated with attractions like Universal Studios that make you feel like you're part of the movies. I have also been a fan of memorabilia from sports to celebrities in restaurants and museums. That said, this situation was different. I was actually going to drive up to where that epic chase scene took place and Marty went back to '55.

As I got off the freeway and drove towards the mall I kept replaying the scene back in my head looking for familiar landmarks. After a few minutes I had finally arrived, there it was! To the everyday patron this was just a massive parking lot that accommodated Burlington Coat Factory shoppers and 24 Hour Fitness exercisers. But to me, I was actually at the spot where a movie I have been watching since I was 8 was filmed! This is where I fell in love with the hunt, my first filming spot.

The parking lot is located at:
1600 S Azusa Ave
Industry, CA

No comments:

Post a Comment